Read, Write INC Phonics
Read Write Inc
At Summerfield Primary School we have introduced the Read Write Inc (RWI) Phonics programme to get children off to a flying start with their reading. RWI is a method of learning centred round letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing. It is a consistent, rigorous and dynamic literacy programme to teach EVERY child to read by the age of six. Using synthetic phonics, children quickly learn to blend letter sounds together.
How and what do children learn?
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letters/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn to read words using sound blending
- read nonsense words to ensure that they are using and applying the 44 sounds they have learnt
- read stories featuring words the have learnt the sound of
- answer questions to show that they understand what they are reading
- learn to write the letter/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds
- learn to write words by saying the sounds and graphemes (a letter or group of letters representing a sound)
- learn to build sentences orally
- start with simple sentences and develop towards more complex ones by the end of the programme
- compose a range of texts usng discussion prompts
They work in pairs so that they can take full part in the lesson. They learn to:
- answer every question
- practise every activity with their partner
- take turns in talking to each other
How can I help my child?
Many parents wish to help their child at home to learn to read. When children are learning to read and write, it is much easier to say the sounds in a pure way. This also helps children to segment words in order to be able to spell them, In order for you to help your child, we recommend that you watch the 'Phonemes pronunciation guide DVD' which can be found at
Click on the links below to access other relevant documents relating to RWI.